Wednesday 28 December 2011

Pursuit of Pleasure

Sitting by the beach in a warm weather, sipping a cool glass of tropical punch, wearing comfortable slippers, my feet were breathing and enjoying the cool water wash over them, my sunglasses made me look like a movie star not only  protecting my eyes from the sun. I laid on my back and savoured every moment of it wondering what I should wear for the dinner later that night. It is a black tie affair and we have all been told to come in our best... The evening was such a classy one, from the senior executives to the junior associates, everyone looked dazzling and you bet the company must have spent a fortune on that get-away weekend... Did I hear you say life is good? Would you love to live a life of vacation everyday? Who would not?...
 
I have always believed in living a balanced life; work hard, live well within your means and in whatever way God allows you to enjoy what he has blessed you with. Do we have to draw a line or is there a limit to how much pleasure we should indulge in as Christians? We all enjoy having a good time, eating, hanging out with our friends and loved ones, that without a doubt is a blessing from God. However, pleasure as good as it is should not take over other important areas of ourlives.
 
The following scripture cautions me anytime I am overindulging myself:
1 Cor 6:12 KJV
 
"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient:  all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any".
 
What am I willing to give up at the expense of the Word of God, my time with God or the help am to render to those who need it? Watching movies, long talks on the phone, shopping till I drop and desire to possess the latest of everything; shoes, bags, watches, cars etc should all have limits as they have the ability to subtly master us. Does owing the latest of anything make you a sinner? No by no means at all, God wants us to have the best as His children...
 
We should only watch out to avoid becoming slaves to our possessions. You know those things that you say to yourself "I could kill for so and so". So before you decide to 'kill' for anything especially this season of blessings, remember "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient"
 
Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment