Wednesday 22 February 2012

Inward Adorning

I had just fixed my hair the previous night, touched up my make up and I stepped out of the house walking towards the car, I saw the same guy staring at me, he had that same sheepish smile and he said "wassup?". I had a frown and was thoroughly disgusted, early in the morning, guess he does not have a work to go to and without any doubt my anger was rising and it affected the way I walked or should I say stomped... I was about 10 feet from my car and he sauntered leisurely after me. I rested my bag and folder on the car so I could open the car and he said "those who are pretty and smile don't have anyone to ask them out how much more you, you have tied your whole face in a difficult knot"...

I was fuming unsure of how to respond to him, but I made up my mind I wasn't going to give him any audience, I got into my car and slammed the door. He smiled as he walked away... he had messed up my whole day as every other person and event got on my nerves that day. I went into the washroom and could not help but stare at myself in the mirror, the silly guy's words rang in my ears, do I frown that often? Is it true that I have not found a man because of the way I wear a straight/tight face? So why did he get to me like this? I was so upset and frustrated.

Later that night I decided to have a personal time with the Lord. Lord I worship you, what is it about me that does not really make me desirable to a godly man? I prayed and wept and asked God to bring me the right person and on time too. I had a restful night. As I was getting ready for work that morning, it was a Friday and I was quite excited; TGIF. I remembered my "friend's" comment and smiled. I said to myself I will smile all day today...
I was not sure exactly what I was smiling about but I kept smiling refusing to get upset about anything. Everyone complemented me on how beautiful I looked that day and I could not but wonder what I did differently. People told me I glowed, my hair was nice (never mind I did it a couple of days earlier), someone asked me what perfume I wear and so on. Some of my friends asked me if I wanted to join them for dinner but I couldn't. I got home and I felt different.

As I prayed that night thanking God for such a great day, the Holy Spirit reminded me how my inner adorning made all the difference and enhanced my outward adorning. A smile was the inner adorning? Yes, part of it but it was more of my resolution to please God and be like Him regardless of what is going on or at stake

1 Peter 3:4 NKJV "Rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit which is very precious in the sight of God".

So, it is not so much of our makeup, wig, designer wears, shoes, bags or perfumes that make us who we are. The kind of beauty that God respects is such that comes from the inside and radiates so brightly on the outside. Kind words, Godly disposition, going the extra mile to help and assist. These qualities attract others to the God in us, so for those who walk around with faces knotted in a frown, try a smile, it enhances your looks. We are God's ambassadors, let us represent Him well with our inner adornment.

Have a Godly and smiley day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment