Monday 5 November 2012

Enslaved By Whims?

When I was a lot younger, I used to long for the time I will grow up and be able to do whatever I like...Whenever there was a birthday in those days, you get a piece of cake and if there is still any left after the party, it is shared and everyone in the house gets a piece. Cake used to be so yummy in those days, I recall I used to dream of a time when I will eat a whole birthday cake by myself...
 
Well, the opportunity presented itself recently during my birthday, I had a big slab of cake, begged people to take enough home with them. After the party there was still so much left that I wondered what to do with it... it was mine, my cake, a whole big cake, but I could not eat more than a piece. So what happened to the desires of those days? Well, if I tried eating as much as I desired in those days, I might end up being sick, never mind that those kind of foods do not just melt away after consumption but they find their way around my waistline!
 
A scripture came to my mind as I prepared for the week; 1 Corinthians 6:12 The Message
"Just because something is technically legal doesn't mean that it's spiritually appropriate. If I went around doing whatever I thought I could get by with, I'd be a slave to my whims".
 
There is no crime in eating as well as stuffing your face endlessly. Ensuring you get a taste of every menu item at a party is perfectly in order but is it appropriate? Buying, window shopping, pressurizing yourself or spouse over the latest "this and that" may make you feel you belong in the league of the big shots but does it add value to you? Going on vacation while maxing your credit card to do it may make others look at you as if you have arrived but what benefit is that to you? If it is new and available you must have it, fair enough but why do you attach your joy to possessing everything that you can find?
 
What club do you belong to by virture of the fact that God has blessed you and you can afford whatever you want? Maybe this class or club make you feel like a god/goddess and you attach little or no importance to the value of your househelp because you pay them to work for you?
 
It is permissible to look through your spouse's contact details on their phone but do you really need to upset yourself unnecessarily by suspecting every unfamiliar name on that list as a possible affair partner. Everyone who smiles at your handsome husband or pretty wife wants them you daily conclude...All things are lawful, you have a right, you can buy whatever, you can eat whatever, dress as you like even if your comely parts are exposed...
 
Why do you not constantly weigh the purpose of the endless conversations that leave you drained and feeling guilty? Break the hold of indulgence in every area of your life, ask for grace to discipline yourself instead.
 
As  you go into a new week, consider things that are purposeful, advantageous,beneficial and edifying. If it does not build you up perhaps you do not need to pursue it. Do not become enslaved by your whims.
 
May it be a glorious week in your life and mine in Jesus name.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment