Tuesday 28 May 2013

Sound of Rain

I looked at the couple as they entered into the church, the man treating his wife as if they are newly weds, yet they celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary a few months ago. I was forced to ask myself; "what is this woman doing differently?" How come she or should I say they got it figured out and I have to manage, endure in my own marriage?. You do not need to hear them talk before you realize that God is in their home and granting them peace. I had to snap back to reality and carry on with my duty as an usher...

We, POSSIBILITIES DIVINE just had our Ist Couples Clinic this past Saturday May 25th and to the glory of God it was a huge success. It was amazing how everyone present opened up and was willing to share as well as receive, we spoke about personalities and communication, we touched on how sex could also be a tool for communication in marriage. One thing that I realize is that gender differences play a critical part in how things are perceived and received in homes. Do you think whatever you are struggling with is peculiar to your home alone? Sometimes you need to hear others... I am not trying to justify things like abuse, infidelity or violence, I am talking about the daily marital stressors that are avoidable.


A man who pursued you to marry you all of a sudden behave towards you as if you are bothering him when you are trying to show affection, all you want is for your husband to complement you or at least behave as if you are visible through his words, response to personal concerns, a woman makes you feel you are a pervert when you extend the hand of fellowship in intimacy and the list is on. The challenges we face in our homes are not unique in anyway. The people who are seen as success in marriage today have their own stories, mistakes, near misses, story of almost giving up and so on.

I remember the story of my mentor, Rev. (Mrs) Funke Adejumo, when her marriage was relatively young, God spoke to her about what she was doing wrong, she would weep and ask God for direction and guidance. Today with their marriage is about 30years old, they are like newly weds, treating each other with so much respect, dignity and love. She was talking at a meeting and said "even the devil in his insanity knows I am happily married" This line stuck in my mind and I like to say it too. Every time I say this, I notice I have such fierce disagreement with my husband about almost everything...lol and the devil will whisper to me "keep fooling yourself you are happily married indeed". 

As we were preparing for this last program, I said the same thing and what do you know, it was as if my husband and I spoke different languages. I said in my mind, "devil, in your insanity you know,I am happily married and it shows in all I do and in my home". I did not stop at the confession, I made up my mind to be patient, clarify anything that is not clear and be sacrificial. That means, when I have a valid point, I am willing to give up my right so peace can reign. I had to find humor in a lot of things and I made reference to this during the last program.

Have you noticed that even success in life is elusive? How much more every other thing that will attest and confirm your destiny? I mean no good thing comes easy, the secret is refusing to give up. You have to make up your mind to enjoy every blessing God has given you. There are some people trusting God for a life partner, there are others who are not in the right frame of mind to think about marriage, so for the man/woman that you complain endlessly about, there is still a reason to thank God.


Our text for today confirms the need to work to back up our faith. The great man of God Elijah made a declaration, he did not stop at that or fold his hands, he went into the place of prayer to sustain his declaration.

1 Kings 18:43-44 New International Version

43“Go and look toward the sea,” he told his servant. And he went up and looked.

“There is nothing there,” he said.
Seven times Elijah said, “Go back.”
44 The seventh time the servant reported, “A cloud as small as a man’s hand is rising from the sea.

After Elijah's servant had been checking for rain, seven times, "a cloud as small as a man's hand" was all that confirmed it was going to rain. To everyone reading this and thinking, I have tried, do not give up before the time of perfection comes. If you have been checking repeatedly, do not give up before the 7th time. Your joy shall be full, your miracle is around the corner. The devil does not want you to rise above misery, but you have to rise up and consciously work for what you want. So the next time the devil rears his head in your home, state with confidence "I am happily married, even the devil in his insanity knows that" and then make every effort required to sustain that statement.

There will still be disappointments, disagreements, arguments, there will still be the need to keep quiet, apologize when you are right, overlook offenses and those things you have repeatedly complained about over the years but believe what you say and you shall eat the fruit of your lips. God is waiting for you to help proclaim the message that marriage is His idea and it works. The best way to state that is by making a success of your own marriage. Is it going to be easy? No! but with God all things are possible.  The sound of rain will remain a sound except you are willing to pay the price to bring down the rain. Elijah prayed the rain into reality, he sent his servant to check 7 times and all he saw as confirmation was a small cloud. Refuse to be discouraged in your own home, declare that it will rain peace, increase, marital joy, respect, love that flourishes  and every other thing lacking in your home and pray it into existence.

I hear the sound of rain in your home, be prepared to be soaked.

Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment