Monday 11 February 2013

Victim Psyche

I walked the long deserted road that stretched far ahead of me for half an hour, my feet were already aching and there were neither houses nor buildings in sight. The bus that dropped me was 30 minutes walk behind me, I knew without any doubt that the driver must have left. I was looking out for the address given by the lady who told me there was lots of work and her company pays every week. I knew I needed just about anything to keep body and soul together. I had arrived in Winston with high hopes of getting a job a day after my arrival. A day became a week, week became a couple of months and I had depleted my funds. So it was a case of "swim or sink". My thighs were knocking and the weather was not the most pleasant. After walking for about 40 minutes, I sighted a warehouse ahead. The sight of the building was like clean, clear water in a desert. I approached the building but there was no way for me to access the building, you require a card to access the building, neither was there any glass to see anyone through. I had been in the cold for almost one whole hour! 

My mind was racing and I asked myself if this was part of the training of life or am just reaping the fruit of some hardship that I had inflicted on someone else. I knew it was the former rather than the later, I consoled myself, summoned up strength and banged on the iron door. Someone opened the door but my lips were already frozen, I managed a plastic smile and he confirmed my name and the company I was with. He showed me my assignment and without any doubt I knew money was not easy to come by. I worked hard, harder than I had ever worked in my limited number of years on earth. I longed to be a child for the first time in my adult life, I wanted to be happy and not grow up so quickly, I wanted to live in my parents house knowing that all my needs were going to be met, free of the plague and demons of bills that never seemed to be satisfied with you just trying. I had my first break at work and my eyes were running around in their sockets, I felt dizzy, fatigued but I still had four more hours before the end of my shift. I calculated how much I was going to be paid, and I hated what the near future had in store.
The sound of the bell signifying the end of my break interrupted my thoughts and daydreaming, I hurried back to finish my assignment for the day. 

As I was stepping out of the warehouse, the supervisor came over and said, "you are a hardworker, we will call you if we need help tomorrow". I ached all over when I arrived home, I was forced to take an afternoon nap, sure the sleep of a laboring man is sweet. I said to myself, "this is not the kind of life I want to live". Years later, I watched from the window of my office, the splendour and beauty of financial district of my city. My efforts at going back to school, working hard, having a positive disposition and most of all the Hand of my God upon me had altered my future in my favour...

A lot of times we find ourselves in situations that are far from what we bargained for. We always have choices, to step over our limitations by making effort to improve. When you are told you can not amount to anything, that is when you need to tell yourself, I will keep struggling and making effort until I prove you wrong by my God, because with God all things are possible. When you are told you are limited because of a policy, you ask God for favour, when they say people of your color and race do not belong at a level, you say your citizenship is of heaven and the wrong policy does not apply in your case. When you are told you may never conceive or marry the right person, tell them the Lord your God directs the heart of the king and He is able to direct the heart of the right person to you. It is God's pleasure to give you the desire of your heart and fruitfulness is part of it.

Look at your challenge or situation straight in the eye and confess the word of God. Without any doubt you have contributed your fair share into your marriage, you have endured all form of abuse, ridicule and embarrassment and the easy thing to do is just to give up and abandon the ship. How will God justify where you are coming from to vindicate you.?  Our Christian heritage forbids us from giving up in our walk with God. Without any doubt it is challenging to walk the walk and not just talk. The Word of God tells us of heavens expectations, it is made clear in His Word, we delight God's heart when we allow our testimonies to mature and eventually proclaimed.


Hebrews 10:39 The Message

"But we’re not quitters who lose out. Oh, no! We’ll stay with it and survive, trusting all the way."


I am not sure what your situation has been, I am not sure where you are coming from but God knows. This is not a call to a life of endless struggle but to inspire you to strive for a better life, better home, better ministry, better parenting, to keep at it because at the end of the day, your training will be over, you will qualify to be in charge and in control. Hold on, as long as you are making the right effort, God is faithful to crow your effort. Those who give up never get the opportunity of being celebrated. The same relationship that is giving you a heart ache will one day be a reference point for excellence and perfection! May you remain in the plan of God and fulfill your purpose. Your struggles are almost over, victors give inspiration and encouragement by their lifestyle and achievements, victims give up and give excuses.

Do not give up!

Blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment