Monday 10 September 2012

Bethesda;The Pool of Mercy

I walked into my class at 0758hrs just in time for the class to start, exhaustion has become the norm; I just keep moving with the flow. It was one of the morning I wept from my overnight job to my class. I sat down, feeling dazed, tired and uninterested in my class and everything...I could use some nice sleep but I have a responsibility to pass and complete my program for a career change. I questioned why I decided to take this route, why could I just not work it out, stick to what I was doing before? Why does it have to be this hard? I questioned. Is it just my luck? I know better as a Christian that the concept of luck does not work with God. then I guess it has to be God's way of preparing me for His purpose for my life. "Lord, may my expectations not be cut short in Jesus name", I prayed silently.
 
Out of no where I noticed Lisa, one of the very smart kids in my class sit beside me. Did I remember to mention that I am one of the older folks in my class? Yeah, seriously? I could not have imagined in my wildest dreams some 20years ago, that I will be in class with teenagers! These kids know what the teacher wants to say before he/she can even venture to utter the words out! I would not confidently describe myself as smart at this time in my life, I just live each day;academically,spiritually and every other "lly" depending strictly on the grace and mercy of God. So, Lisa sat down and smiled at me, she said;"Good morning", I replied and managed a big smile. "I just want to let you know you encourage me a great deal, I look up to you to draw strength. I am not sure how you pull everything together and still manage a smile" she said. "Awww, that is so sweet of you Lisa, you know the Lord has always been my strength, but thanks for your kind words" I responded.
 
I held myself together till the end of my class and into my car, before I let down a heavy downpour of tears, I was balling my eyes out not for stress,fear or anxiety this time but because I felt the love of God anew. Indeed, I have experienced Him as "Jehovah El Roi - the God who sees me" Genesis 16:13. I was so grateful because He sent me consolation in the simplest of ways. I did not have any strength to do most of the things required,but His grace was available every step of the way. I obtained favour where others were picked on, I sailed through without a scratch! Lisa would never have an idea what the comment she made meant to me; so even in my situation God expects me to be seen as; "An Ambassador of Hope". I have to daily maintain my peace and quiet as He builds me up. I finished my program and passed well in the face of obstacles,limitations and ridicule. Blessed be the Lord God who has shown me mercy!
 
Does that mean I did not do anything at all to contribute to the process of attaining the goal? No, as a matter of fact, I did because God always require human participation to showcase His glory on earth. I worked my fingers to bone, burned the midnight candle and oil, denied myself some pleasures but in all God crowned my effort. I particularly have to give all credit to God because through my journey, I saw human ability fail...I saw kids who had tremendous talents but could not channel them aright, I saw people who could not give the focus and determination required to finish. There were so many reasons to give up, get discouraged but I told myself I was in it for the long haul and God, gave the sustainance,assistance and support necessary. I have a support system that kept me focussed;family,siblings,friends,real brethren and all this could have only been from God.
 
The story of the man by the pool - Bethesda which means pool of mercy comes to mind as I prepared to write this piece.
John 5: 2-8 NKJV
 
"Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda, having five porches. In these lay a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water. For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had. Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?”
The sick man answered Him, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”
Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.”
 
 He had laid by the pool and his situation remained the same, he had lost touch with "mercy". When Jesus the embodiment of mercy Himself showed up, the guy was busy telling stories and explaining himself. He had been used to this by reason of time. What situation have you adjusted yourself to contrary to God's plan and purpose? Where do you need to explain why you have not progressed, or why you have not found or been found of the right man/woman? Do you always have to tell the stories of generational failure and woe? Barrenness has forced you to remember the days in Egypt when you ate garlic, cucumber and leeks. Maybe you want to mudsling because your ministry is not growing like your neigbour's and it is just so challenging.  You probably have sickness of the mind that borders on insanity and "no one is willing to assist you into the water", maybe you are seen or perceived as "all that" by others but you dare not share your challenge with anyone because it will just rubbish all your accomplisments. The mercy of God will bring permanent and total healing in Jesus name.
 
Hebrews 13:8 NKJV "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". As His power was in those days, it still is very much potent today! I pray that the mercy of God that neither considers background, past or ability step into your situation and effect a positive change in Jesus name. May your situation get the attention of heaven this week and may you record a testimony.
 
The mercy of God is His prerogative, not a function of what you do or do not. A great multitude of disabled people lay by the pool but Jesus singled this man out for a miracle, may you be singled out for your own miracle this week in Jesus name.
 
Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment