Wednesday 19 September 2012

Stolen Waters (Part 2)

It is interesting how easy it is for us to relate to stories...I do hope you have been blessed by this so far. As I started the second part of this story, the following scripture came to mind:

Psalms 74:20 NKJV

"Have respect unto the covenant: for the dark places of the earth are full of the habitations of cruelty"

The last chat we had on Friday was for 3 hours, Folami was away, he had a conference in another state and was not returning till Monday the next week. Well, lets just say, I camped in front of the computer, ate, breakfast, lunch and dinner right in front of the computer. Tope too was home alone his wife had gone away for the weekend to attend a function, she is not likely to return till Sunday afternoon. The cat was away and the mouse could play... Facebook seems to be the best thing that has happened to me in recent times. Tope and I were together and we had gotten so comfortable with each other, we were joking and flirting like two high school students. It felt naughtily nice...Well, the weekend was over and life resumed back to normal, Folami was back home, Tope's wife returned and that limited the amount of time we could spend together, we were only talking for 30minutes and that made me really miserable, I could not do any chatting at work too, weekends, especially Friday evening were my favorite times. There was so much tension on me and I knew it was because I could not talk to Tope during the week. Fridays are reserved for me because his wife is one of those Friday night away from home women, she was born again and she had to be in church. It worked perfectly for me because I had ample time to spend with Tope. Folami on the other hand could be in his study for hours, working on his research. Tope and I were having a time of ourlives without much disturbance. The only hitch is that we really can not meet up, we were separated by thousands of miles.

Monday morning came with its usual hustle and bustle, I met my boss in the elevator and he told me he wanted to meet with me after his 9am meeting. Keith motioned for me to come in at 1015am and he said "Doyin, we need some help in Nigeria, we have an opportunity to explore and who would be able to better handle this than our Nigerian Doyin? he smiled broadly as he said this. Keith told me about a three week project in Nigeria, my  company wanted me to explore the opportunity of partnering with a pharmaceutical company in Nigeria!. He wanted to know if I am willing to go and represent the company... "Three loaded weeks in Nigeria" I exclaimed in my head, then I remembered I had to pretend it was for the good of the company. "Seriously"? "I feigned surprise. "Well, it is what it is Keith, how soon will I be leaving I asked". I was hoping you could do a Friday trip so you have enough time to settle in Abuja before starting work on Monday", he chirped. That is fine, I will clear my desk as much as I can Keith. I left his office hardly able to contain my excitement and joy. I am going to be away for 3 weeks!!! Three whole,loaded weeks! I came home jumped on my bed like a kid, I was excited.

I told Folami I was going away for 3 weeks and he did not quite mind because he too had a couple of conferences to attend. He assumed I was going to stay at his parents' house. I just could not be bothered about anything, I needed to get to Nigeria. I called Tope to let him know and he was on cloud 9 when I told him I was coming to Nigeria. Our plane touched down in Abuja on the evening of Saturday, Tope was at the airport to meet me, even though he lives in Lagos, he came to pick me up himself. He was looking so trendy and cute, I felt butterflies in my stomach and he gave me a big hug, we kissed and stood there in excitement. "I can't believe this is happening" I exclaimed. "Baby, you look so beautiful, almost edible, better than uni days! so good to see you" he said.

We checked in to the Nicon Noga Hilton and the weekend was second best to my honeymoon. The first night I felt guilty, I do not know why but I just did not feel good about myself, "how could I cheat on Folami?" I asked myself. By the second and third night there was no guilt feeling anymore, Tope and I said we were meant to be together otherwise how do you explain this chemistry after 15years of being apart? I resumed work on Monday and the next three weeks Tope would pick me up for dates, he took me to the best club in Abuja and it all felt great. Everyday was extremely romantic and I just could not think about having life otherwise. Time fled by real fast and it was almost time to go back to the States. I made it a point of duty to call Folami twice a week that way there will be no gap in our communication.

The night before I left Nigeria, Tope was with me in my hotel room and I had to do something to break our relationship, he had said something in the afternoon that I was going to hold against him, he said, "honey, you look fat in this suit". It was an innocent comment but I made a mountain out of it and he could not understand. I told him I found it disrespectful that he would call me fat and it did not matter what he said I was "upset". We parted on a sour note, he looked so sad and the look on his face made me feel so guilty because he looked dejected.

My trip had been successful, my boss will be happy with my response from Nigeria and I have to put a report together once I get to Houston. On getting home, I was all over my husband telling him how much I had missed him and he was all over me as well, he had set up the house with flowers, and it is as if he just learnt a few things about being romantic, I was happy to be back home in the warm embrace of my husband. We seem to be experiencing another phase in our relationship, a rekindling... distance sure makes the heart grow fonder. Folami told me what his Mum was suggesting to him, finding another girl who will carry on the lineage. He said he knows I will bear his children and no other woman. My heart was cut, I felt very guilty knowing what I had been up to in the last three weeks during my last trip to Abuja. Folami said his vacation was coming up and he wanted us to tour Europe for 10days. I did not have any problems with my boss about getting approval, in no time we were on our way to Paris. I had so much fun, we had such a great time together sight seeing and I could barely wait to be back in Houston to tell Evelyn all about it.

We resumed life as usual, work, work and an intsy bit of socialization here and there. It has been 7 weeks since I returned from Nigeria/Paris, I felt quite sick but I thought I must have picked a bug, it was so bad that I had to go and see my family doctor, well, the pregnancy test confirmed that I was pregnant. Folami wanted to die with excitement. He wanted to call his Mum right away but I objected, I told him I needed to feel better before we inform anyone.  It was such a great experience as I was being pampered right, left and center. Folami wrote out a list of names, he called in an interior decorator to start decorating one of the rooms for the baby. He was just beside himself with excitement. I too was really happy, I had a very safe pregnancy and delivered a bouncing baby boy, Grandpa and Grandma Fesobi came in for the naming ceremony and gave the baby these names: Oladiran, Omowonuola, Omofolarin Fesobi. My parents were excited and Mummy volunteered to come for the first 6weeks to assist me with child care. Finally life is perfect.

As I settled to my role as a new mother, I was home away from work and I posted some pictures on facebook, Tope was one of the first to comment, but I did not want to have anything to do with Tope anymore, he belongs in my past and that's where I want to keep him. He sent me messages via facebook, he called a number of times and I decided to change my number. Tope wrote series of facebook messages telling me how I intend to ruin his life, he was already thinking about a life with me after my trip to Nigeria and all that. I knew I was heading for deep waters if I still maintain any link with him, he has my secret and will blackmail me to have his way. He told me he wanted to keep what we had going alive and it will not affect our marriages. How do I do that? I can't do that but he has refused to reason with anyone. I closed my facebook account, opened a new one under a different name but refused to add Tope as a friend. (To be continued)...

No comments:

Post a Comment